Thursday, January 6, 2011

Hello 2011 New Year's Resolution

It's the first week of the year and what does that mean: New Year's Resolutions! Of course my list includes the popular items such as going to the gym, eating healthier, reducing my intake on caffeine; but it also includes a unique item. This year I would like to broaden my horizons in particular study abroad.

As an undergraduate, I hoped to participate in a study abroad program my junior year in Australia. However due to the my schedule and earned credit hours, I was unable to enroll.

As a Belk College of Business MBA student with a concentration in marketing, I would like to expand my business acumen beyond my field of study.  In order to fulfill this goal, I decided to "step out of the box." This year, I applied and was accepted into UNC Charlotte's 4th Annual International Real Estate program. This year's location: Malaysia. Now I'm sure you are wondering why did I choose this particular program when I am a Marketing concentration?  For starters, real estate, particularly commercial real estate,  always peaked my interest. In addition, I figured this was a once in lifetime opportunity to meet with notable companies across the globe.  You can go to most any country any time and be limited to being a tourist but going with a class you get to be an insider in local companies.  The second reason why I chose this program was the location. Two years ago, I traveled to Asia and thoroughly enjoyed every second of my 2-week trip.   I am always quick to tell anyone once you have exposed and immersed yourself in eastern culture (I'm not referring to the areas with a strong Western influence); your outlook on the world completely changes. My trip two years ago has increased my interest to learn and visit more countries in the East.

I will be honest when in saw the "sticker price" of the trip, my jaw dropped. Then I had to stop and think. The bulk of the cost is UNC Charlotte's tuition. So basically if I enrolled in summer session I, I would pay the same amount. Ok so then I looked at airfare...well by the time I plan a week long vacation in the states the cost will be near the roundtrip airfare. Third I evaluated  the  additional costs for meals, souvenirs, etc. When I added those costs, I came to the conclusion that the amount is the equivalent to the cost of a textbook. In particular, a textbook that I would then try to resell at the end of the semester and only obtain 10% of the original cost. With this said, I would rather have a priceless experience and pictures.....well the rest was history. This is truly a once in a lifetime opportunity that I am counting down the days until departure.   

How many individuals will I meet who can say they studied real estate in Malaysia.....probably not enough to count on one hand.

Studying abroad for a graduate student is truly an educational and personal experience that I wish every student could participate in.  It is a nice way to brand and differentiate yourself  from the competition!

How do you plan on broadening your horizons this year?

Until next week. Happy New Year!

1 comment:

  1. Leticia,
    I signed up today for the Study Abroad program in Germany for this coming summer! I too am so excited to be participating in this wonderful once-in-a-lifetime experience. I am also so impressed by all the great international programs that University of North Carolina - Charlotte offers via the Belk College of Business. Yet another reason I am glad I chose UNC Charlotte for my MBA! Look forward to sharing stories about our summer trip and experiences gained!
    Cheers,
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete