Thursday, January 20, 2011

Field of Daisies

If there was a magic wand that could erase personal and or business "dark" sides would you use it? Would you ignore your weaknesses and focus on your strengths to define your brand?  Some individuals would agree.

I began the week by participating in two events for HandsOn Charlotte's week of service. The first event was a MLK Community Cinema held at the Actor's Theater. The event consisted of two films, A Village Called Versailles by S. Leo Chang and Deep Down  by Sally Rubin and Jen Gilomen.   My second event included working with HandsOn affiliate's Dress for Success. (Dress for Success in an international organization that provides career related services to women who are not employed.) Not that almost every second of my weekend wasn't already accounted for, as per usual, I decided to squeeze in a short museum visit in the day.

The museum visit consisted of a tour of the area after the Civil War. The museum was a host to a plethora of information however I left disappointed and frustrated. I was frustrated for those individuals who are not well versed on history and disappointed because there was something "missing." I felt that without prior knowledge from elementary and secondary school's history class I would have left feeling that everything was a pink fluffy cloud. There were several facts of history that I expected to see however they were nowhere to be found. At times, I thought I was playing "hide and seek." Ever corner I turned I thought to myself "of it will be around the corner;" however it wasn't there. I left thinking the museum did not want to face reality because  it would otherwise "taint" a perfect image of American history. Certain events occurred in the last 50 years which led to Martin Luther King and other individuals to create a movement. Why? Because "life was not a field of daises."

Now the let's take this same concept, "a field of daisies," and apply it to business. What if we completely eliminated from economic and finance text books Enron and Arthur Anderson. Let's go even further what if we eliminated the Savings & Loans (S&L) crisis and the Great Depression. How could business leaders of today develop strategies to improve their business structure to avoid making similar mistakes?

 
 Eliminating negative history that stirs emotions or starts controversy is not a solution for the future. It hinders the present because we are who we are based on our TRUE past. We learn from our past to become the individuals who we are today. Just something to ponder.

No comments:

Post a Comment