Monday, September 12, 2011

My Educated Reflection

Labor Day for some represents a three day break from their full time positions. For some it is a shopping experience to catch the final end of summer sales. Others it is a time to catch up on "honey-do" lists, homework, sleep, or all of the above. For me, Labor Day was a mixture of each of the items mentioned above. In the midst of my reading, I decided to take a Netflix break. This week's movie: "Waiting For Superman." 
Now I will not begin to write a dissertation on the documentary. I will not discuss my personal thoughts on the movie nor will I write a summary of the 90 minute film; however I will discuss my "light bulb" moment. Watching the documentary was like having someone hold my hand as I walked through my educational past. The movie documents four young children throughout the country and their local educational experience. I must say that the documentary was a personal eye-opener.  Throughout the film, I could not help but constantly reflect on my educational background and my path leading to my MBA.

 
The movie was a reminder not to take my masters degree or any degree for that matter for granted. At times, I will admit that I do lose sight of the value and the privilege it is for me to enroll in a higher education program. It is an opportunity that some are unable to pursue due to financial, personal, or academic reasons. On the flip side of the coin, I do believe that a degree is an investment that has financial value as well as community value. The education that we receive while obtaining our degree is a gift. It is a gift that can easily be shared amongst peers or individuals looking to pursue a similar direction. I would even go to say that our educational paths are stories that must be shared with our community as a means of encouragement and motivation.

Just a couple of thoughts that I wanted to share as a reflection on "Waiting for Superman." Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment