Thursday, September 22, 2011

Beginning of the End.

The Fall 2011 semester marks the beginning of the end for second year full time MBA students. It is a time to hone skill necessary for the re-entry or entry into the workforce as well as network with various alumni. I must say that I am surprised at how much time flies….but I am at the beginning of the end.

The Fall 2011 semester brings me closer to a sigh of relief while at the same time to the 40+ MBA application position.  Throughout numerous class discussions, I can hear the tension in students voices in regards to company searches and the “job hunt.” The anxiety levels tend to ebb and flow as the career search process begins. I do not know want to use the phrase, “job search,” because for me I do not relate to it.  I am not searching for just a "position" that comes with a specified list of duties and matching salary, I am looking for a career. I am looking for the long term career path that will lead me to my ultimate career goal. I am aggressively researching companies to understand their mission, values, and culture to determine whether or not their incentives are an ideal fit with my personal values, mission, and culture. I will say that I am grateful to be a Belk College Graduate Fellow because this recognition ha exposed me to developmental opportunities that have lead to my current thought process. I believe that this program has given me the comfort and I would go so far to say assurance that I am navigating my process well. The program has provided me with the necessary confidence in myself to network with fellow business professionals in my respective field and be candid about my goals and open to their recommendation and guidance. Yet another joy of being a Belk College of Business Graduate Student.

The countdown is on! I will continue to enjoy each day, network with new and current students, and hone my business skills before it "Back into the Real World."

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment