Friday, October 12, 2012

Networking...with GBA

The Graduate Business Association (GBA) is a student-led organization within the Belk College of Business. Its main purpose is to provide networking and professional development opportunities to foster meaningful connections among master and doctoral candidates and the Charlotte business community. Although it is a fairly new organization, it started to gain ground among the Belk College of Business graduate students.

Yesterday evening, GBA hosted a networking event at Pisces Sushi Bar and Lounge. The event was a huge success. Over 35 graduate students and alumni came together to connect with each other, exchange ideas and thoughts, and enjoy the delicious food. I always enjoy attending these kinds of social networking events because it gives you the opportunity to meet new people, discover new interesting points of view, and open yourself to a whole new way of thinking. In addition to that, you build relationships and friendships that will become your "power ties."

When I first came for the MBA Preview Day last spring, I met Leticia Foster, the former GBA President. As she was talking to me about GBA, all I could think was: how can I join the organization? I learned from my undergraduate experience the importance and benefits of getting involved in different organizations, and I didn't hesitate at the opportunity to take part in GBA. And it was a great decision. I didn't know anyone in Charlotte before starting the MBA program. Attending the monthly GBA social networking events at Brixx and Pisces helped me get to know more people and feel more comfortable in the program. Less than two months in the program, and I already started to develop new friendships and professional connections with individuals interested in the same field of study as me. In addition, from the professional development networking seminar, I learned a lot of very useful lessons and tips, some of which I already shared in my previous blog entries.

I hope my experiences will inspire other graduate students to attend the GBA events and get involved. One of the great things about this organization is that it is student-led and any student can leave his/her mark on the organization by getting involved and taking the initiative to see an idea come to fruition. Needless to say, I look forward to participating in the upcoming events and workshops. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment