Wednesday, August 29, 2012

First week of graduate school

The excitement of the first week of graduate school has built up for quite some time...and I was ready for my first classes to start. I registered for 4 classes and a seminar and, this being my first semester in graduate school, I didn't know what to expect. As I was going through the syllabus for each class, I noticed the amount of reading/homework we would have and that made me a little nervous that I would not be able to keep up with the program. However, as the first classes rolled around and I came prepared to class, my fears slowly faded away. I found the professors to be extremely versatile in their subjects and willing to work with the students in their learning curves to accomplish the course objectives. In all my classes, there is a great emphasis on group discussions and group projects. Learning how to work in teams is imperative in the current business world. In all my classes, we have case studies discussions and hands-on projects that will help me develop the mindset needed to perform in a managerial position.

Probably one thing I found striking was how diverse my classes were. Although I'm originally from Romania, I graduated from a school in Alabama where everyone had fairly similar backgrounds and experiences. All my current classmates come from a variety of professional backgrounds (from architects to financial analysts to former CEOs). In addition, everyone adds to the multicultural educational atmosphere with their own unique heritage and ethnical background. I have classmates who are from other parts of the US (California, Florida, Texas, Connecticut) while others come from all corners of the world (Denmark, Germany, India, Japan, China, and Mexico). In addition, many of my classmates either lived or studied abroad at one point in their lives. I look forward to learning more about and from my classmates. Their own experiences and perspectives will challenge and broaden my own views and make me a better person.

I look forward to see what the upcoming weeks bring...till then...I'm going back to my homework! :)
Wish everyone an exciting week!

MBA students taking notes during their first class meeting

1 comment:

  1. Great to hear that you had a good first week! Looking forward to reading more of your post :-)

    ReplyDelete