Thursday, February 9, 2012

The Next Steps

Last week, I shared some strategies in regards to preparation for the job search. Now that you have the interview...what is next? How do you prepare for the 60-minute conversation? Check out my thoughts below:
  1. Research: Your knowledge of the company is critical to the success of the interview. Prior to interviews, I try to read at minimum a year's worth of company press releases and other related published material. If you know the name of your interviewers, it is a good idea to research their profiles on Linkedin. Make sure to research within your network. You may have a contact that can be a resource on the company of interest.
  2. Appearance: First impressions are lasting impressions. The first 10 seconds of an introduction can set the stage for the remaining 60 minutes of your interview. Remember to dress business professional. Business Attire Suggestions
  3. Portfolio: It may sound trivial but make sure you have several copies of your resume. From my experience, it has been helpful to bring copies of class projects as an example of my skill sets to present to my interviewers.
  4. Questions: The rule of thumb is to have at least 3 questions that you feel cannot be answered via the website or through additional secondary research. I use this opportunity to probe about company culture, obtain a better understanding of day-to-day operations and use the information to pair along with my personal company objectives.
  5. Follow -Up: It is critical to remind your potential employer why you are the best candidate within 24 hours of the interview. Remind the interviewer(s) why you chose the company, job position and how your skill set can be more than just an asset to the company but to the bottom line. The lasting impression is not just in the interview itself but in the follow-up correspondence. (In my opinion, it is a display of one's character). 

I hope you find these tips helpful. Until next week...Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. I'm extremely impressed with your writing skills and also with the layout on your blog. Is this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself? Anyway keep up the nice quality writing, it is rare to see a great blog like this one nowadays..
    Ledco INC 113262630x80 Lauan Bifld Door

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the compliment. I created the themese myself.

    ReplyDelete