Thursday, November 4, 2010

Who has YOUR back?


What I have learned this week is the value of my support system. When deciding two years ago that I wanted to pursue my MBA degree in the upcoming years, I received extreme encouragement from my family members and closest friends. Through the strenuous GMAT studying period and the $250 check cashing (scheduling the GMAT) period came once again my anxiety levels were relieved by my support system. When it came time to choose which university I would attend to complete my Master in Business Administration degree I did not seek out my support system. *gasp*

I know you might have a question mark on your face. No I did not consult my "usual" support group when it came time to for me to make my final decision. Instead, I contacted the graduate programs contact at each school. These individuals did not know me beyond my online application but that did not stop me. I wanted to know if the university was truly dedicated to their students. Some of the questions I pondered were: "Do they (the business departments) merely view students as a revenue stream and are the faculty just for a paycheck?" This was an important question to me based on past experiences. Let's be realistic, times are tough. From my work in the corporate world, I've observed individuals attitudes change. No longer are individuals dedicated to going above and beyond but have adopted a " I will only perform what is in my job description." With this said, I wanted to know if the university's faculty would be willing to go above and beyond or at least adopt a 'Can do attitude" to assist their students as best as they can. Well I received my answer at UNC Charlotte.


In recent weeks, a fellow classmate and I were talking about the business school in general and our prior academic experiences. Once again this topic came up with mutual agreement. Chad Miller is an MBA candidate like myself who I wanted to share his thoughts in my blog.


I am continuously impressed with UNC Charlotte's faculty and staff. The faculty and staff dedication is apparent not just on paper but in their actions. UNC Charlotte's staff will do the best they can with any situation to assist a student in their respective endeavors. From my encounters, the faculty continue to have a positive attitude even though some of my questions do not have immediate "yes" or "no" responses. I truly feel comfortable contacting the Belk College of Business faculty and or staff which is something I was not able to do as easily in prior years. (I promise that this is not scripted a)

My point in all of this is to seek out a support system in every step in your life. In less than 4 months of me being in the MBA program, I have a mentor and a network of faculty that I can consult to assist me over the next two years. These individuals continue to make my time here Can you say that about your current environment?




Just something to think about. Have a nice weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment