Thursday, October 7, 2010

My "MINT" break.

Last weekend was the grand opening celebration of the Mint Museum UPTOWN. Sunday, I decided to take a "quick" break from my marketing study schedule to take in the remaining festivities.  The exterior of The Mint Museum UPTOWN reminded me of Chicago. The crisp lines, sharp angles, and contemporary feel of the museum welcomed me as I turned the corner on Tryon Street.

As I walked up the red carpet, leftover from Friday's Ribbon Cutting Ceremony, I could not help but marvel at the four story glass atrium. What is really intriguing is the video artwork on the building across the street. The museum consists of a family gallery, conference rooms, two levels of art galleries, and auditorium space.

I do not want to spoil a potential trip to the museum but I do want to share some highlights. I LOVED the fact that there was a cell phone audio tour. Scattered throughout the museum, one can find various pieces with a code to call in. The code may direct you to a voice recording of the artist, Mint staff, or the Executive Director of the Mint Museum. The individual will explain the construction, meaning, and/or history of the assigned artwork. The Mint Museum I feel shows their knowledge of today's technology trends & innovation. Also this is the first time, I have visited a museum and did not have to pay $5 for the 1993 cordless phone *ahem* audio tour. 

Ted Noten "Woman & 400 Daisies"
Ted Noten's "Women & 400 Daisies" caught my eye. This was by far my favorite piece in the entire museum. I will not steal the artwork's "thunder." However the creation of this piece is why I love it so! I literally walked back to this particular artwork twice because I was so intrigued.

The museum has several hands on stations throughout each gallery. I particularly liked the questionnaires in the American Art gallery.  The questionnaires engaged me throughout my tour of Trumbull & Copley's work. (It is ironic that the entire gallery was my Art History class from 2005). 

The two inaugural exhibitions are "New Visions: Contemporary Masterworks from the Bank of America  Collection" and "Contemporary British Studio Ceramics: The Grainer Collection." I appreciated the Grainer's Collection. When I think of ceramics the first country that comes to mind is not Great Britain. Through this collection, you can learn more about the history of ceramics in Great Britain as well as see the artist's influences from Roman culture to every day activities/uses. The BOFA Collection consisted of various contemporary pieces on canvas, lithographs, and sculpture.

Unfortunately, I had to return to studying. however The MINT Museum was a rewarding break instead of me watching another episode of Grey's Anatomy.

Check out the MINT Museum Uptown. The Museum will host First Fridays. music & movies once a month, and numerous events for both members & nonmembers. I know I will be back soon and plan on taking my guests there as well!


Have a nice weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment