Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Market Yourself in Resumes & Online Seminar

This week in grad life, I attended a career development seminar conducted by Robin Boswell, Director of Career Development at the Belk College. At first, I was slightly hesitant in regards to attending this seminar because I felt that it was “too early” in my career. However I quickly talked myself out of that one. I’m a graduate business student. It is never too early. :-)

Key touchpoints from this hour long session included the “hidden job market,” key words, and resume manipulation. My personal takeaway was uncovering what makes “ME” unique from the hundreds/thousands candidates out there. That is a question that I honestly do not know the answer too but Robin posed a good point. It may take some time to think about the answer however that is one of the major points in order to be successful in marketing yourself. If one does not know how the answer to this question, how can you convince a potential employer to hire you from the remaining job applicants.

As we know everything is digital. So to keep up with the digital trend, why not do a Video CV? (Never thought about this as well).

This seminar was an excellent reminder not only for business school students but anyone considering a career change or a new company. In today’s times, it is easy to get discouraged or think that “You” know everything there is to know about the job search. But who knows everything. (Well I thought I did when I was 8. No lie. Another long story).

This is was an excellent seminar for prospective, current students, alumni, and the Charlotte community. Just another way, UNC Charlotte connects the Charlotte community! (I’m not just saying this).

No comments:

Post a Comment